Designer or hybrid puppies are all the rage right now! And for good reason!
Hybrid puppies are bred from two purebred dogs from different breeds, hence the term designer, which implies a bloodline created by mixing purebreds. Purebred puppies are simply puppies that are bred from two dogs of the same breed. If a dog is not purebred, it is considered to be a hybrid or mixed breed (commonly referred to as a mutt).
If you are in the market for a hybrid puppy, Petland is a great place to find a hybrid puppy because Petland puppies only come from 3 sources, which are:
- USDA licensed breeders and distributors with no direct violations on their latest inspection report who have a veterinarian-documented socialization and exercise program and follow veterinarian protocol for skin, coat, nail and dental hygiene.
- Hobby breeders as defined by the Animal Welfare Act (AWA), who raise their dogs in a humane manner.
- Local adoption pets that are vet-checked. Some of our puppies and kittens come from local animal shelters or from members of the local community as part of Petland’s Adopt-A-Pet program.
With over 45 years of experience in responsible pet sourcing, Petland has developed state-of-the-art standards for its retail pet stores. This means you can trust our choices in breeders not only because of our standards, but also because of the USDA’s oversight.
The Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS), a division of the USDA, is tasked with the important job of inspecting the professional puppy breeding kennels that Petland partners with, under the guidelines of the AWA.
The AWA requires compliance in these areas:
- Proper identification of all animals.
- Proper record keeping of veterinarian visits, protocols, health checks and certificates, vaccinations, and de-worming.
- Documentation of pets purchased or sold with proper age records.
- Housing (indoor, outdoor, and sheltered) is checked for soundness of construction, impervious nature of materials, ventilations, temperature, adequate size, flooring, walls, and safe surfaces.
- Compatible grouping of dogs for safety and socialization.
- All animals must receive adequate exercise, daily feeding and watering, and be housed in a clean and sanitized environment.
- Up-to-date pest control.
- Properly trained staff.
These controls mean that when you purchase a hybrid puppy from Petland, you can rest assured that from the breeder to our retail stores, we are committed to animal welfare and the quality of our pets.